2019 Annual Association Meeting: The annual Association meeting was held on January 15, 2019. We appreciate the owners who couldn't attend, but provided proxies to enable the meeting to proceed. Reck reviewed the list of building repairs and improvements that were completed in 2018. Since the carpet replacement was exclusively for the residences, the Association agreed to separate the Replacement Reserve into 2 accounts, one for the Commercial Units and the second for the residences. Future activity in the Replacement Reserve account will be distributed between the 2 accounts as appropriate. Ron Flenner's term on the BOD has expired and he was re-elected to the BOD for another 3 year term. Attendees also voted to adopt IRS Ruling 70-604. The draft minutes from the meeting will be posted on the 'minutes' page of this site, as well as the draft minutes from the short Board of Directors meeting that followed the Association Meeting.
2019 Budget: The Board of Directors has approved the Pender budget for 2019. The new budget is available to members on the "Association Info" page.
Recycling: The City of Norfolk continues to provide single-stream recycling service at no additional fee. However, contamination (waste that cannot be recycled by the Norfolk contractor) may jeopardize recycling in the future. Pender residents have two blue recycling bins located in the alley behind the building. These blue bins are to be used only for paper, plastic container with narrow mouths, and glass. No other waste should be placed in these bins. Use paper bags (not plastic bags) to bundle recyclable waste or just dump it loose into the carts.
New Roof Overlay Completed: A new roof overlay membrane was installed on the Pender Building in 2014. The work was completed by National Roofing and included adding protective surfaces beside the HVAC roof units. The membrane is thicker than the previous membrane and the overlay is thermally bonded. The installation is essentially the same as the overlay done on the roof parapet 2 years ago.
Building Insurance Certificate: Unit owners should go to the "Documents & Forms" page for information on how to obtain this certificate.
A Few Things to Keep In Mind:
- Elevator pads are located behind the 3rd floor roof access door. Please use them when moving any bulky or heavy items, and return them to storage when you are finished.
- We have had problems with the roof membrane. Only authorized maintenance workers should be on the roof or the fire escape.
- The Association requires that contractors working in common areas must have appropriate insurance. Similarly, unit owners should verify that any contractors they employ have insurance if any work must be conducted in a common area - such as work on HVAC equipment on the roof.
- The Association maintains a contract to clean the common areas on a weekly basis. But there's no excuse for not picking up trash. Please help keep the common areas clean and pickup after yourself.
- Owners can have pets subject to the limitations identified in the Rules & Regulations, provided that they complete a pet registration form and send it to our Cavalier Building Manager. Dogs are not permitted in rented or leased units.